The Missouri Poison Center wants to remind people to be careful when mushroom hunting.

Wild mushrooms are abundant in many areas of the state and especially after a rainy spell, according to the Missouri Poison Center.

Eating poisonous mushrooms can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea to severe kidney and liver damage.

Tips from the Missouri Poison Center

  • NEVER pick and eat wild mushrooms unless they've been identified by an expert!
  • Prior to a child or pets in the yard, an adult should search the area for any mushroom growth.
  • Look-alike mushrooms can fool you. Learning how to identify mushrooms in one part of the country or another country is not reliable for identifying mushrooms in another area.
  • Cooking doesn't make a poisonous mushroom safe. In fact, you can be poisoned by breathing in the cooking fumes from some poisonous mushrooms.
  • Even non-poisonous mushrooms can cause unpleasant reactions in people who are sensitive to them.
  • Symptoms from eating poisonous mushrooms can be delayed for many hours.

If you think someone has eaten a wild mushroom, call the Missouri Poison Center immediately at 1-800-222-1222.  

MORE: Missouri mushroom hunting 101