An infant was killed and four others, including two children, were transported to the hospital after a house fire early Wednesday morning.

According to the St. Louis Fire Department, the fire started on the second floor of what appears to be a boarding house on the 5100 block of Cates Avenue around 3:30 a.m. Six adults and three children were inside the house at the time of the fire.

The fire started on the second floor of a boarding house, but everyone involved was affected by this tragic death, including the firefighters who worked so hard to prevent it.

Our Five on Your Side camera caught a heartbreaking image showing firefighters rescuing a little boy, believed to be around 4 years old from the house.

He's at the hospital suffering smoke inhalation along with another little boy, who is 18-months-old,
A third child, a 9-month-old boy, died in the house.

Terrell Moment is one of the nine people, six adults, and three children, inside the three-story brick house when the fire started overnight.

“The wall by the window was just on fire and I said, fire, fire. I woke up everybody,” said Moment.

Moment says he raced to rescue who he could, grabbing his wife who had one child with her, but the fire became too intense.

“I ran back upstairs and by that time the living room was consumed. Everything metal in the house was red hot,” he said. “I couldn't see my hand in front of my face because the smoke was so dark.”

“It's a tough morning,” said St. Louis Fire Chief Dennis Jenkerson. "These guys dedicate their lives to protecting other lives, and like I said before, they take this personally. This is not just a job. They come out and they put it all on the line every day."

The chief says the loss weighs heavy on his firefighters who work so hard with one goal.

These guys dedicate their lives to protecting other lives. And like I said before, they take this personally,” said Jenkerson.

Two adults, a man and a woman, were also injured. They are in critical condition.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

The fire chief says there were working smoke alarms in the house.