A woman was grazed by a bullet inside Busch Stadium at Tuesday night’s Cardinals game.

Witnesses said the incident happened in section 141, just behind first base, in the bottom of the 8th inning.

According to police, the 34-year-old woman was in her seat when she felt pain in her arm and after removing her jacket she noticed a small abrasion above her elbow, she then went to the first aid station.

Todd Porter and his son were sitting directly in front of the victim. They say everything was fine until they heard a man behind him calling for security, saying the woman next to him had been shot.

"You could see the little hole in her jacket, and all of a sudden you see the little bruise and a little blood on her arm," Porter said. "I’m like, man, she did get shot.  And next thing you know I’m like, you got shot for real? And she was like yes, and she reached over and picked the bullet up.”

A bullet slug was found in the immediate area around the victim’s seat.

It’s unclear where the gunshot came from, but it appears it came from outside the station, police said.

The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department says, this further amplifies our yearly message of encouraging “Fun Without Guns”. We know “what goes up must come down”, and in this case, an innocent victim was struck. The department constantly stresses the importance of safety and responsible gun ownership.

“I was a little shaken," Todd Porter's son Chris said. "We got out of there pretty quick once security came and everything, because we didn’t know if they were going to shoot again.” 

“That bullet could have hit anyone," Todd Porter said. "There were some little kids sitting in front of us, it could have hit them.”

Statement from St. Louis Cardinals

We are aware of an incident last night in which a fan reported being struck by a stray bullet that presumably originated from outside of the stadium.    The fan was treated for an abrasion and a bruise on her arm at First Aid and released.  She was interviewed by police who are investigating the matter.   There is nothing more important than the safety of our fans, and the Cardinals are grateful that no one was seriously injured.  We will be sharing more information with the media as further details emerge