As part of “Cyber Bullying Prevention Awareness Week,” AT&T has compiled a list of apps designed to help protect children from bullying and to create awareness around the problem.
1. KnowBullying – (Android, Apple – FREE) – This app is for parents. It facilitates conversations with your child about bullying by providing conversation starters and reminders to do so. The app also provides tips about bullying for specific age groups and helps parents recognize the warning signs of bullying.
2. Smart Limits – (Android, Apple – FREE; monthly service fee of $4.99 for 1 line or $9.99 for up to 10 lines) – This parental controls tool for AT&T customers lets you block up to 30 numbers from unwanted calls and texts. It also lets you limit your child’s phone use during certain times of the day, block cellular data, set text and purchase limits, view daily calling and texting activity on your child’s device, and more.
3. STOP!t – (Android, Apple, Windows – FREE; school rate $2 - $5 per student, per year) – The STOP!t is a tool for schools which allows students to report bullying anonymously as it happens. The app also includes a HELPiT button that allows users to talk and text a 24/7 crisis support network.
4. BullyBlock – (Android – FREE) – This app captures and block bullies that are causing you and your family harm. The Bully Block app allows users to covertly record verbal threats and harassment, block inappropriate texts and pictures (e.g. sexting), and utilize auto respond features. Bully Block blocks bullies that utilize private or unknown numbers to engage in cyberbullying. Bully Block also has instant reporting features that allow the user to email or text abusive behavior to parents, teachers, HR departments, and law enforcement. All audio, messages, and calls are stored on the phone SD card.
5. Bully Tag – (Android, Apple – FREE) – This app allows kids who witness bullying to report it anonymously to school officials in a number of formats. The app can be used to transmit video, audio, texts and pictures. The app also allows students to schedule appointments with the school counselor and gives them access to a help line for kids.
6. Bully Stop (Android – FREE) – This app helps protect children from bully calls, texts and picture messages. The app gives your children the ability to block calls and messages from people they don’t want to hear from. Bully Stop uses a Block List to block unwanted callers and texters. The app maintains a password-protected call log of all attempted contact with your child so you can approach the relevant people, parents, teachers or police and show proof of the bullying communication.
7. Bully Button – (Android, Apple – $0.99) – This app allows children to record incidents and send them to adults with a single click of a button. The Bully Button messages will be repeatedly sent to the intended recipient until they’re opened.