$90K prize goes to 'Queen of Hearts' winner

NEW MELLE, Mo. – There's finally a winner in a local card game, and the lucky person is taking home around $90,000!

Approximately 500 people from as far away as Hannibal and Columbia showed up at the Queen of Hearts raffle held at the VFW's New Melle post Wednesday night, each hoping for a chance to win the jackpot.

Once a week for nearly a year raffle tickets were sold for $1. Participants could purchase as many tickets as they would like, hoping for a chance to be chosen.

One ticket was chosen each week, and the person holding that ticket was given the opportunity to draw a card from a deck, hoping to select the queen of hearts. If a person drew the queen of hearts they would win 90 percent of the jackpot, with the remaining 10 percent going to veterans charities supported by the VFW. But that didn't happen, which meant each week the deck of cards got smaller, the jackpot got higher, and more people started to play.

On Wednesday, the 49th week of the game, six cards remained. The jackpot reached close to $136,000 after selling 27,000 tickets. The odds of winning were one in 816,000/ A ticket was drawn, a card was selected, and a winner was crowned!

The winner, a man from Troy, Mo. who did not want to speak to NewsChannel 5 on camera, will take home around $90,000 after taxes. This week was the first time he came to play the game. Some participants have been playing for nearly a year.

The VFW's 10 percent adds up to around $13,000, which will be donated to veterans charities.

The image above is courtesy of Justin Anderson.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment