911 call reveals frantic efforts to save Fla. moviegoer

A 911 call released Friday in the killing of a Florida moviegoer reveals the frantic efforts of an off-duty nurse and other patrons to try to save the life of a new father who was shot during an argument over texting.

The 11-minute, 27-second recording also shows that it took the Pasco County Sheriff's Office two minutes to answer as the 911 dispatcher attempted to transfer the Jan. 13 call, which came in at 1:29 p.m.

"Is there a pulse? Can someone do chest compressions?" the unidentified caller can be heard asking patrons in the Cobb Theater complex in Wesley Chapel, near Tampa, while on the phone with the dispatcher.

"Come on, come on, buddy, breathe!" he says as others tried to keep 43-year-old Chad Oulson alive as his wife, Nicole, looked on in horror. She suffered a hand wound.

An unidentified woman comes on the line later and asks the sheriff's operator why paramedics haven't arrived.

"Where are they?" she asked. "The pulse is really slow."

It took a deputy four minutes to arrive at the theater, and seven minutes for paramedics, the Associated Press noted. The 911 dispatcher told the caller a deputy had to enter the theater before paramedics could.

Oulson, a finance manager who lived in Land O'Lakes, was pronounced dead at a Tampa-area hospital from the wound caused by a .380-caliber semiautomatic pistol.

The caller, who identified himself as a nurse, also said an off-duty police officer was present. Pasco County authorities said afterward that a Sumter County sheriff's deputy had detained and disarmed the suspect, 71-year-old Curtis Reeves, a retired Tampa police captain who led the department's SWAT unit.

Reeves is being held without bail on a charge of second-degree murder.

Witnesses said he became angry as Oulson texted during the previews before a showing of Lone Survivor. The two argued, and Reeves went to complain to the manager. When he returned, the argument escalated, and Oulson threw a bag of popcorn at Reeves.

Theatergoers told police he pulled out his weapon and shot Oulsen once in the chest. The Pasco sheriff said the gun jammed after the first and only shot.

Reeves told investigators he feared he would be attacked.

WTSP-TV has the 911 recording in two parts, here and here.

Wednesday, Nicole Oulson told of the rare day out she and her husband were enjoying after leaving their 22-month-old daughter with a babysitter. Police have said Chad Oulson was texting the babysitter when the argument began.

"And just to think that in the blink of an eye, my whole world just got shattered into a million pieces," she said during a news conference at her attorney's office. "And now I'm left trying to pick them all up and putting them back together."


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment