ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - The Better Business Bureau says Run Local Locksmith, a company investigated by 5 on Your Side, has scored an "F" and has had about a dozen complaints filed in the St. Louis area in the last year.
It offers the following tips to protect yourself from being overcharged:
· If you are locked out of your car and have roadside assistance service such as AAA, call them first.
· Research locksmith companies before you need them. Keep that information in your purse or wallet in the event you need such services in the future.
· Get an estimate from the locksmith for all work and replacement parts before work begins. Do not trust estimates given over the phone.
· Ask for identification. Make sure you have a locksmith's full name, the company name and contact information before agreeing to work. Reputable locksmiths should ask for your identification before accessing a vehicle or building.
· Make sure the locksmith has insurance coverage in case there is damage to your home or vehicle.
· Pay by credit card in the event you want to challenge the charge.