(KSDK) - A woman was rescued from her burning home by Alton firefighters late Saturday night.
The fire broke out just before 11 p.m. in the 600 block of East 7th Street in Alton, IL. An alert neighbor saw the flames and was able to rouse a woman and her fiance who were inside sleeping.
The couple was able to get out safely before the fire department arrived. Firefighters found the woman's 75-year-old mother unconscious on the kitchen floor.
The woman suffered smoke inhalation and severe burns. She is being treated at a local hospital's burn unit. She is expected to recover.
An official cause will be released on Monday. A preliminary investigation showed the fire was accidental.