A Washington University dorm fire was quickly put out. (Courtesy: Steve Patterson, KSDK)
Clayton (KSDK) -- A Washington University dorm has minimal damage after a fire.
Clayton police said the fire started outside Wheeler Hall at Big Bend and Wydown around noon. The fire spread and hit the first floor of the dorm.
Construction crews were working on a new water line and new HVAC line. They left out equipment that overheated and caused a minor explosion, which started the fire.
The fire was quickly contained.
The building is not occupied by students this summer, according to a Washington University spokesperson.