St. Louis (KSDK) - We now know what caused a strong odor that had some Soulard bars evacuating Friday night.
A St. Louis Fire Captain tells us the smell was coming from a downtown business called Tri Rinse, Inc. The company cleans steel drums for disposal. During the process, we're told its pH levels got too high, causing the smell.
People reported the odor was similar to that of natural gas. It took several hours for the odor to clear.
The fire department says the chemical imbalance was not harmful.