KSDK - The Rock N Roll Marathon through the streets of St. Louis was bigger than ever this year. More than 16,000 runners from 49 states and 17 countries took part.
The benefiting partner, Team Activities for Special Kids (TASK), is a St. Louis-based nonprofit organization that provides safe, accessible recreational opportunities for children with special physical and developmental needs. The TASK Force running team raised more than $700,000 for the charity.
Sally Oelzen's son is one of the children benefiting from TASK. "My son is on the autism spectrum. He's 9-years-old and loves sports, loves to play, enjoys being around his friends. And that's what TASK has been able to allow us to do in an environment that's free and easy and fun and open and inviting," she says.
Tracy Sundlun, the founder of the Rock N' Roll Marathon Series says he wanted to create a marathon that was part race and part spectator sport, "Why would someone come out and watch running at 6 in the morning? Maybe they'd come out to listen to music. So the original concept was to run a race through 26 mini concerts."
Bands helped cheer runners on through the marathon and half marathon courses. Both courses went through Downtown and past Busch Stadium, the Historic Courthouse and Washington Avenue. After a loop through St. Louis University both courses also passed Tower Grove Park and Lafayette Park. After mile 13, the marathon route continued into St. Louis' famed Forest Park. Those runners then headed back downtown. The half course finished with a backdrop of St. Louis Arch.
Below are the race results:
Results - TASK Rock 'n' Roll St. Louis Marathon & ½ Marathon
Sunday, Oct. 21, 2012
Place, Name, Age, Country, Time, Prize
Men's Full Marathon
1. Charles Beiseman, 31, De Soto, MO, 2:32:41, $1,000
2. Shane Logan, 34, Clarkston, MI, 2:34:36, $500
3. Matt Hoyes, 38, Bardstown, KY, 2:43:53, $250
Women's Full Marathon
1. Nuta Olaru, 42, Denver, CO, 2:49:29, $1,000
2. Emily Kurian, 29, Madison, WI, 2:55:30, $500
3. Amy Landes, 40, Glendale, MO, 3:10:16, $250
Men's Half Marathon
1. Dustin Emerick, 23, Evansville, IN, 1:08:00, $1,000
2. Scott Mindel, 26, New London, CT, 1:10:30, $500
3. Thomas Albes, 23, St. Louis, MO, 1:12:17, $250
Women's Half Marathon
1. Kimi Reed, 24, Brookline, MO, 1:17:19, $1,000
2. Jackie Pirtie Hall, 30, St. Charles, MO, 1:20:20, $500
3. Sydney Messick, 30, St. Charles, MO, 1:21:48, $250
For complete results, photos and more, visit: runrocknroll.competitor.com/st-louis <http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/st-louis/>