Ballwin (KSDK) - One West County family had a bleak Black Friday after their house was severely damaged in an afternoon fire.
At approximately 3 p.m., fire crews responded to a residential fire 627 Claymont Drive in Ballwin. Crews arriving on the scene found that the family was safely evacuated from the structure after being alerted by smoke alarms.
"By having working smoke alarms and the homeowner immediately calling 9-1-1 to report the fire, it helped our crews bring the fire under control relatively quickly" said Deputy Chief Mike Krause of the Metro West Fire Protection District.
The alarm is under investigation by Metro West and Ballwin Police officials but appears to be accidental.
"This is a good time to remind everyone of the importance for homeowners to remember to change batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, to have furnaces and fireplaces professionally checked for safety and to remember not to place any objects on or near stoves" said Chief Vincent T. Loyal of the Metro West Fire Protection District.