MARYLAND HEIGHTS, Mo. (KSDK) - A chlorine leak at a water processing plant in Maryland Heights forced the evacuation of workers at the Missouri American facility overnight.
Emergency rescue crews were called around 11:30 p.m. Sunday to respond to the facility on Hog Hollow Road. The property contains eight one-ton tanks and the leak was discovered in the piping that connects the tanks.
Workers spotted the problem and began to notice a green haze inside the building, so they quickly evacuated and notified 911.
Missouri American officials tell NewsChannel 5 the facility is equipped with a safety device, known as a scrubber. That device worked to clean and clear the air, preventing chlorine from escaping to the outside of the plant where it was quickly contained.
Eight members of the St. Louis County Hazmat Team entered the building, but by the time they were in place, the leak had stopped. No chlorine entered the atmosphere, Monarch Fire District Marshal Roger Herin said.
Several nearby roads in the area were closed as a precaution, but they were all reopened a short time later.
No injuries were reported.