Fire damages south St. Louis home

3:43 PM, Jan 13, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SOUTH ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KSDK) -- Firefighters arrived at the 7800 block of Water Street early this afternoon to put out heavy flames that erupted out of a one story brick building. The flames were so intense that the firefighters had a hard time entering the building.

One male adult was home at the time the fire broke out. He made it out of the home safely and proceeded to call 911.

The fire was caused by a wood burning fireplace that was overloaded with wood. It was so hot that materials placed too close to the fireplace ignited and the flames spread quickly. Red Cross is at the scene assisting the male. His home had extensive damage and was determined to be uninhabitable for the time being.

The fire also melted the siding on a neighbor's home, but did not damage anything on the inside. They will be able to stay in their home.

KSDK

Most Watched Videos