LIVE VIDEO: Show Me St. Louis    Watch
 

Vodka drip saves poisoned puppy's life

7:55 AM, Jan 15, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

By Chelsea Janson

MELBOURNE, Australia (Network 10/CNN) - A nine-week-old puppy has been saved by an unusual "hair of the dog" treatment.

The American Staffordshire was put on a vodka drip, after being poisoned by anti-freeze.

The nine-week-old picture of puppy health, but just two weeks ago, Cleo, a cute Christmas present, was hours away from fatal kidney failure, after licking anti-freeze from a car part.

"She was giving us a bit of a scare because she was really disorientated, she couldn't stand straight, she'd fall over," said owner Stacy Zammit.

During the night, Cleo got worse, refusing food and constantly crying. Zammit rushed her to a vet.

The only cure for coolant poisoning was another staff member's Christmas present: pure alcohol.

"There's toxins in that called etholyn-glycol and they're very, very harmful to the kidneys so what we need to do is give them alcohol and in this case, we gave her vodka to try and mop up some of those toxins," said veterinarian Matt Pascall.

The vodka was fed via a drip through her nose and into her stomach.

"It was quite funny, to be honest. Flushing her with vodka to make her better," said Zammit.

Over two days the boozy pup consumed more than a third of the bottle.

"If we put it in human terms, for me it would be the equivalent of having seven or eight shots every four hours," said Pascall.

The Christmas vodka has since been replaced and Cleo's back to full health, now that the hangover's gone.

Network 10/CNN

Most Watched Videos