JENNINGS, Mo. (KSDK) - Close to one dozen people have become homeless in Jennings, through no fault of their own.
Residents of the Elta Rose Apartments on Tyrell in Jennings, Mo. were first notified of evictions Tuesday because the furnace and hot water systems were not up to code. The building has since become condemned.
Several police cars and building inspectors began going through apartments Tuesday afternoon, and residents say they had no warning whatsoever.
They came home to the eviction notices on the building and their doors.
St. Louis County officials say the furnace problems can cause a carbon monoxide poisoning, and there are also problems with wiring posing an electrocution hazard.
They say they have been in contact with the owner of the property since March 2012, telling him he needs to fix the problems, and at this point they have to evict the residents.
NewsChannel 5 is trying to track down the property owner.