LIVE VIDEO: NewsChannel 5 at Five    Watch
 

Toddler dies after parents find boy hanging from mini-blind cord

5:03 PM, Apr 2, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - St. Louis Police continue to investigate the accidental strangulation of a young child who got tangled in a nylon cord at a home in south St. Louis.

Investigators responded to the home in the 8500 block of Water around 7:45 p.m. Monday when the parents found their two year old boy hanging several feet off the ground after the child got tangled in the cord of a mini-blind.

Authorities believe the toddler had climbed onto a window sill when he got caught in the cord.

The child was transported to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital in south St. Louis where the little boy was pronounced dead a short time later.

Linda Kaiser, of Barnhart, Missouri, advocates that parents and businesses use cordless blinds if they have young children.  She lost her 12-month-old child because of a cord accident.  You can find out more about window blind safety on her website.

Tips for consumers from the Window Covering Safety Council:

• Install only cordless window coverings in homes with young children. Replace window blinds, corded shades and draperies with today's safer products.

• Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords, preferably to another wall.

• Keep all window pull cords and inner lift cords out of the reach of children. Make sure that tasseled pull cords are short and continuous-loop cords are permanently anchored to the floor or wall. Make sure cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit movement of inner lift cords.

• For more information on window covering safety and to order free retrofit kits please visit www.windowcoverings.org.

KSDK

Most Watched Videos