ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - St. Louis Police continue to investigate the accidental strangulation of a young child who got tangled in a nylon cord at a home in south St. Louis.
Investigators responded to the home in the 8500 block of Water around 7:45 p.m. Monday when the parents found their two year old boy hanging several feet off the ground after the child got tangled in the cord of a mini-blind.
Authorities believe the toddler had climbed onto a window sill when he got caught in the cord.
The child was transported to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital in south St. Louis where the little boy was pronounced dead a short time later.
Linda Kaiser, of Barnhart, Missouri, advocates that parents and businesses use cordless blinds if they have young children. She lost her 12-month-old child because of a cord accident. You can find out more about window blind safety on her website.
Tips for consumers from the Window Covering Safety Council:
• Install only cordless window coverings in homes with young children. Replace window blinds, corded shades and draperies with today's safer products.
• Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords, preferably to another wall.
• Keep all window pull cords and inner lift cords out of the reach of children. Make sure that tasseled pull cords are short and continuous-loop cords are permanently anchored to the floor or wall. Make sure cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit movement of inner lift cords.
• For more information on window covering safety and to order free retrofit kits please visit www.windowcoverings.org.