By Sharon Chen
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KSWB/CNN) - A California man dies while having his wisdom teeth pulled. Now his family wants to know what happened.
At just 24-years-old Marek Lapinski was the picture of health and success.
"He had no health issues we were aware of. This was very strange and unexpected," said his mother, April Lapinski.
On March 21 Marek died getting his wisdom teeth out.
"It was such a routine thing that we just, you know we thought nothing of it," said April.
Marek's surgery was performed by Dr. Steven Paul in Temecula.
The Lapinskis say what happened can be found in Marek's medical records. On the ambulance report, paramedics state the patient was undergoing surgery when he began to cough.
"When he coughed they administered propofol and that's when he went into cardiac arrest," said April.
Marek was immediately taken to the hospital where he later died.
"I was told by the hospital they weren't sure if this was all caused from him choking on a piece of gauze
I didn't want to believe the severity of it," said April.
Marek's sister Natalie, a nurse, says her brother was given at least six different sedatives by the surgeon.
"He wasn't going in for open heart surgery or something," said Natalie.
Natalie says on the strip of paper representing Marek's oxygen levels it shows he may have gone about 10 minutes without oxygen.
"After a couple of minutes with no oxygen to your brain you just basically don't have one anymore, those are just the facts," said Natalie.