ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - If you have storm damage to your home, car or property there are some steps you need to take.
According to Angie's List:
• Do a visual inspection: Look at your home, automobiles and other property exposed to the storm. Take a picture of any damage you find.
• Call at least three reputable contractors: Get apples to apples estimates for the repairs you need.
• Review your insurance policy: Ensure you know what you're entitled to. Some insurance companies surcharge or up rate for any claim, therefore it is best to know if you have damage before you call.
• If there is damage: Call your insurance agent right away to file a claim.
• Check contractor credentials: Check that your contractor has a good reputation, is licensed, insured and can do the work.
• Get it in writing: Expect to pay a deposit for materials, but always get a contract in writing that discusses payment terms. Make sure the contract includes a termination clause, should the contractor fail to meet your guidelines. Never pay cash in advance for work.