LIVE VIDEO: Today in St. Louis    Watch
 

Mo. student lights hand sanitizer on fire, throws it on teen

8:46 PM, Apr 26, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SHAWNEE, Mo. (KCTV/CNN) - A student at a Missouri school learned the hard way just how flammable hand sanitizer is.

It seems he wanted to try out a so-called party prank on an unsuspecting classmate.

There was some extra chatter as classes let out at Hocker Grove Middle School Friday about a potentially dangerous prank.

"It kind of got around as the day went on," said Officer Bill Hisle.

Inside the school yesterday morning before classes started, a 12-year-old student decided to try something.

"A 12-year-old student there filled his hand with hand sanitizer, took a lighter and set it on fire and then threw it on another student," said Officer Hisle.

The kid said he heard about it from an older student as a party prank and videos like this are all over YouTube.

The 13-year-old victim suffered some minor burns to his face. The school nurse checked him out and he visited the family doctor but was back in school by the end of the day.

Things are looking more serious for the accused attacker. He was booked into Johnson County Juvenile Detention on aggravated battery charges. He'll face disciplinary action from the school as well.

"Having worked with students, you know sometimes they don't realize the implication or the serious nature or they'll make an impulsive choice," said Leigh Anne Neal, district spokeswoman.

The district sent out a phone message Friday afternoon telling parents what happened and asking them to talk to their kids about the dangers because like it or not, kids can see so much more now.

KCTV/CNN

Most Watched Videos