Florissant, MO (KSDK) -- A big honor Thursday night for a little Florissant boy. Ryker Smith and his family will throw out the first pitch at the Gateway Grizzlies game at GCS Ballpark in Sauget, Illinois.
Chive Charities is sponsoring the event. The organization is an online community which champions orphaned causes that need public awareness and financial assistance.
We brought you Ryker's story earlier this month. The boy is almost 2 years old. He was diagnosed with FPIES, food protein induced enterocolitis syndrome. In basic terms, it is a severe allergic reaction. He was also diagnosed with eosinophilic colitis, which is a completely different kind of allergic reaction in the gut. The rare combination means Ryker needs a feeding tube in his stomach. His family says experts know of only one other child in the country with both FPIES and eosinophilic colitis.
Ryker qualified for an allergy alert dog. In June, he and his family will travel to Colorado to get Dixie, an almost 2 year old golden retriever. Dixie is an Angel Service dog. She is not like most service dogs. They also are not like most detection dogs. Allergy dogs are a combination of both.
Family, friends and strangers are helping the Smiths raise more than $16,000 for Dixie.
Rally for Ryker fundraiser dates:
- Thursday, May 23, 2013: 54th Street Grill, 2895 Lindbergh/North Highway 67, Florissant
- Thursday, May 23, 2013: Ryker throws out the first pitch for the Gateway Grizzlies in a Chive Charities fundraiser
- Friday, May 31, 2013: Saint Sabina Trivia Night
- Tuesday, June 4, 2013: Leo's Pizza Night, Jacksonville, IL
- Saturday, June 8, 2013: Quarter Auction and Band Benefit, Garner's Archery, Roodhouse, IL
- Sunday, June 9, 2013: Gettemeier's, 1740 Thunderbird Avenue, Florissant, MO
- Thursday, June 13, 2013: Quarter Auction, Jacksonville, IL
- Saturday, June 15, 2013: Trivia Night at Florissant Presbyterian Church