AFFTON, Mo. (KSDK) -- A two-alarm fire kept firefighters busy Saturday afternoon as they battled flames inside an upper floor of an apartment building in the 9900 block of Heritage Drive.
The blaze was reported to firefighters around 12:15 p.m. The building was damaged by the fire, and investigators say the fire started in a bathroom ceiling of one of the units.
The couple living in that apartment said they'd long had issues with the ceiling fan either not working or making odd noises. They kept getting property maintenance to fix it.
The property manager explained he was too busy to comment.
Here's what the Wesley Adams, 29, had to say about rolling up to his apartment and realizing what had happened: "Panicking about my pets, and then started thinking, oh god, what else do I care about, what else is important, family heirlooms and pictures, and just panicking and wondering if we're gonna get it back."
The good news is the pets were okay, and no one was hurt. But all 16 units were evacuated. The Red Cross is here helping people out.