Mario Hunt now facing allegations of second sexual abuse victim

10:41 PM, Sep 4, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Cahokia, IL (KSDK) - A metro east school district is accused of covering up an alleged sexual assault between a former teacher's aide and a student.

That former employee is already facing charges of criminal sexual assault and transmitting HIV.

The alleged victim claims he was sexually abused by Mario Hunt while attending Cahokia high school. The victim says in a lawsuit, he told district officials about the abuse and they told him not to say anything.

The Cahokia school district says not true.

This past May 35 year old Mario Hunt, former Cahokia high school teacher's aide and coach was charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual assault and transmitting HIV.

Now he's facing a lawsuit filed by one of two victims to come forward.

The victim's attorney Jarrod Beasley says the district is also to blame.

"They chose to turn a blind eye and actually in one instance told my client specifically do not report this to the police or to your parents," says Beasley.

The victim who filed the lawsuit alleges the school district did not investigate previous reports of Hunt's sexual misconduct.
Also the district "...knew Hunt had a high potential to sexually abuse male students."

Superintendent Art Ryan denies the allegations, saying the only complaint they've had about Hunt was last year when a student told them about a situation on Facebook. He says the district began to investigate, but that was cut short when police got involved and started their own investigation leading to the sexual assault charges.

"To this day we have not had a parent or a student come to us and make any accusations of any sort of sexual improprieties as far as this situation," says Ryan.

The lawsuit specifically names a school administrator. The court document says she turned a blind eye to complaints of sexual abuse and misconduct.

"She would not actually have been involved in any of these investigations or anything that would have happened because she only started with that position last year," says Ryan.

According to court documents the abuse happened from 2012 -2013, which was last year.

Ryan says he has yet to actually see the lawsuit. He says he has not been served with any papers.

Mario Hunt is at home right now wearing an electronic monitoring device. His next court date for the current charges is October 14th.

Newschannel five went to his house to talk to him, he declined.

The Associated Press

Most Watched Videos