ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - The Zoological Park Sub-District Commission approved a multi-year, multiphase expansion plan for the Saint Louis Zoo Thursday afternoon.
The 20-30 year plan will expand the zoo across Interstate 64 using the former Forest Park Hospital as well as create organizational changes. The zoo purchased the 13.5-acre site in October 2012.
PHOTOS: Saint Louis Zoo expansion plans
Plans for the expansion were unveiled to the public this past May.
The expansion plans include a number of recommendations, including:
- expanding the site for a new entrance, including a major attraction;
- moving the parking lot and creating surfuce lots with structured parking;
- linking the expansion and current zoo site with a bridge, trolley or gondola;
- moving administrative, distribution and service offices to the new site as well as adding new habitats at the old site;
- develop a retail, dining and lodge option;
- enhance public space animal habitats, a possible aquarium, indoor rainforest and even ways to blend the Zoo into surrounding neighborhoods.
All of the recommendations serve as the framework for a master plan for the zoo's future.
Check out photos of the Saint Louis Zoo expansion proposal.
Since the planning will be done in phases, so will the funding for the project, which has yet to be announced.
NewsChannel 5 will have more information on this story as it develops.