Video Shows Violent End To Police Pursuit

7:36 AM, Dec 27, 2006   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Click here to read the latest on this story. (KSDK) — St. Louis and Maplewood police say they're reviewing the violent arrest of a suspect who'd lead police on a high-speed chase Monday morning. And the Missouri Highway Patrol will investigate. Some witnesses say excessive force may have been used when police arrested the 33-year-old suspect. The incident started in Maplewood, when police believed the suspect may have been casing a convenience store. When officers approached the suspect, he took off in a GMC conversion van. The pursuit headed south on McCausland, east on Arsenal, north on Kingshighway, and then east on Page. Maplewood police finally cornered the suspect near North Florissant and Pleasant in the City of St. Louis, after the suspect's van and the police cars collided. Police say the suspect tried to escape by ramming a couple of Maplewood police cruisers, then running away. After a short foot pursuit, Three Maplewood police officers and one St. Louis police officer captured the suspect, and proceeded to punch and kick him, and to hit him with batons. The arrest was captured by Chopper 5 video. Three Maplewood police officers and the suspect all suffered injuries that are not considered life-threatening. The suspect and one officer were taken to local hospitals. The Maplewood Police Department says the officers were not sure if the suspect was armed, and that the suspect may have been resisting arrest. After reviewing Chopper 5 video, Chief James White of the Maplewood Police Department would not comment, saying the investigation was ongoing. The NAACP is calling for actions to be taken against the officers. The Maplewood officers have been placed on paid injured leave. St. Louis Police have not yet announced whether any action will be taken against the St. Louis officer, who was seen on the tape kicking the suspect in the ankles and feet.


Most Watched Videos