Rat poison used to sicken dogs in Kansas

TOPEKA, Kan. - Pet owners in Topeka, Kan. are being advised to keep an eye on their pets. The warning comes after someone apparently sickened a woman's dogs with rat poison.

"I just can't understand for the life of me why people would do that to animals. It's just wrong," said Carmen Dominguez.

Dominguez's three dogs ate rat poison by accident about a month ago. Two of them were pit bull puppies, the other a beagle mix. She said a neighbor saw someone in a white van throw something over her fence.

"Missy, Baby Girl and Mikey ate whatever they threw over the fence. They started getting sick, being sluggish. They tried to save Mikey, Mikey didn't make it," she said.

Potwin Pet Clinic posted a cautionary sign, saying that 15 dogs had died of ingesting rat poison. Dr. Claudia Terry said she heard through the grapevine that area veterinarians had seen 21 poisoning cases.

"We haven't seen any here, we hope not to see any here. We don't know a lot, but we felt it important to warn our clients," said Terry.

Terry said it's not uncommon for her clinic to see rat poisoning cases in the springtime. She said when the snow melts, pet owners don't know what may have been buried underneath. Also, more mice and rats come out during the springtime and people buy more poison.

Topeka Animal Control supervisor Linda Halford said she has not been able to verify anywhere near that number of cases. She received a long chain email that had originated from a neighborhood watch in late February that warned of 15 dogs dead. She called around to verify any clinics treating dogs for rat poison and only verified the Animal Care Center of 21st and California, where Dominguez took her three dogs. Halford said she would have received phone calls from vets or animal owners if 15 dogs really had been poisoned.

Dr. Conner told 13News the same thing, that he had only treated three dogs, and hasn't heard of any other clinic that had. 13News called other area clinics and their doctors said they hadn't.

"It's possible the information, when it was getting passed from person-to-person, got changed a little bit, maybe some of it wasn't quite accurate. But it's still a good idea for people to be aware of things."

Dominguez agrees and said she hopes that what happened to her pets doesn't happen to anyone else's.

"I used to feel safe, now I'm always on guard," she said.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment