Victim of south city bar shooting dies

ST. LOUIS – Four patrons and two suspects were shot Tuesday night at a bar in south St. Louis. One of the victims, 63-year-old Diana Lawrence, died at the hospital Wednesday.

According to Schron Jackson, a spokesperson for the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, police were called to Pooh's Corner at 10:55 p.m. for a report of a shooting. Court documents show three suspects, all armed, entered the bar and demanded the seven patrons and one bartender get on the ground in an attempted robbery.

Then, those documents say 29-year-old Corey Wade ran toward one of the patrons, who happened to be a former St. Louis police officer. The 65-year-old former officer, who has a concealed carry license, reportedly went for his gun, when Wade allegedly fired at the man. Police say the man fired back, hitting Wade in the eye.

That's when authorities say 20-year-old Derreaun Davis and the third suspect began firing their weapons. Lawrence was shot in the back of the head and was rushed to the hospital in critical and unstable condition, where she later died. A 73-year-old man was shot in his ankle and fractured his tibia. He is listed in critical but stable condition. Another man, 66, was shot in his buttocks. He was taken to an area hospital where he was treated and released. The former officer was shot in the leg and taken to the hospital in serious but stable condition.

The prosecuting attorney's office says one of the victims died at the hospital Wednesday.

The former officer also shot back at the suspects. Davis was hit in the shoulder. Police say he ran out with the third suspect and fled the scene in a stolen vehicle which was later recovered in the 5000 block of Ruskin.

Davis reportedly later showed up at a hospital claiming he had been shot at the intersection of Goodfellow and W. Florissant. Jackson says an investigation determined he was involved in the incident at Pooh's Corner. The third suspect remains at large.

Wade, who was shot in his eye, collapsed on scene and was taken to an area hospital in critical but stable condition.

Wade and Davis have each been charged with 32 counts. The charges include assault, armed criminal action, and attempted robbery. The prosecuting attorney's office says it intends to upgrade one of the assault charges against each suspect to homicide now that one of the victims has died.

An officer at the scene told NewsChannel 5's John Henry the establishment is popular with police officers. In 2008, the same former officer involved in Tuesday's shooting also shot a person who attempted to rob the same bar. That suspect survived, and no one else was hurt.

The homicide unit is investigating.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment