ST. LOUIS -- Eight Missouri public schools have been honored as 2015 Blue Ribbon Schools, and seven of them are in the St. Louis area. Two private schools in the St. Louis area have also received the honor.
The U.S. Department of Education announced the national honors on Tuesday. The designation recognizes high levels of academic achievement or significant progress in closing gaps in achievement among disadvantaged and minority students.
The Missouri schools honored this year are:
- Blanchard Elementary, Cape Girardeau 63 School District
- Ralph M. Captain Elementary, Clayton School District
- Ladue Middle School, Ladue School District
- Truman Middle School, Lindbergh Schools
- New Haven High School, New Haven School District
- McKelvey Elementary, Parkway C-2 School District
- West Middle School, Parkway C-2 School District
- Kennard Classical Junior Academy, St. Louis City School District
- Nerinx Hall High School
- St. Louis University High School
More than 7,500 schools have received the honor since the program was founded in 1982.
The winners will be recognized at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. this November.