BALLWIN, MO. - A family with four children lost their home and all of their belongings after an apartment fire earlier this month. Now, the Ballwin community is stepping up to help them in a big way.
Two of the children who were living in this apartment, are actually students at Claymont Elementary school in Ballwin,
Principal Aaron Wills says parents and community members have not stopped giving since the family lost their home.
It's a place Chaketra Sleydin and her children have called home for four years.
Over the last several days, only cherished memories of her Preservation Square apartment remain.
Her windows and front door are left boarded shut.
Sleydin was on her way to work when an unexpected phone call changed everything.
"They told me to come home, the house is on fire," Sleydin said. "So I rushed home and like five fire trucks were outside."
Sleydin returned to find all of her families belongings completely destroyed by the flames.
The children were in the apartment with their father at the time and were pulled safely from the apartment.
"And I didn't know what to do but start crying cause I was making sure my kids were OK," Sleydin said.
Fortunately, no one was injured.
"I just thank God they are OK," Sleydin said.
For now, thanks to assistance from the Red Cross, Sleydin is staying in a hotel.
Two of her children, Gabriel and Beyonni, both attend Claymont Elementary,
Principal Aaron Wills says when the community got wind of of what happened to their family, they immediately stepped in to help.
"This family needs basic needs right now, they need clothes, they need food, they're going to need diapers for the babies," Wills said.
Wills says parents have generously dropped off several bags filled with those items, they're also donating money.
If you're interested helping the Sleydin family, click here.