Elderly St. Louis woman dies during gas outage

ST. LOUIS - Laclede Gas crews worked around the clock to restore gas to a north St. Louis neighborhood.

NewsChannel 5 learned an elderly woman in that neighborhood died Tuesday morning.

It started with a water main break. A Laclede spokesperson tells us water leaked into the gas line, causing a gas outage for about 40 homes.

Suzie Granger's family says the gas and heat went out Monday morning at their home, and when they woke up Tuesday morning their grandmother wasn't breathing. Granger's granddaughter Erica tells us she was diabetic, blind and deaf.

The family says they called Laclede Gas and someone from the crew that came Monday morning told them they'd have the gas back on within a couple of hours. But they'd just gotten it back on when I got there Tuesday afternoon-just hours after Suzie Granger died.

While our crew was there, some people in the neighborhood still without power sat in their cars to keep warm while Laclede Gas crews worked.

Suzie Granger's family says they can't say for sure what caused her death until autopsy results come back.

"We don't know what's the cause of her death, was it about this situation? But we know it was extremely cold and she'd been doing fine," Erica Granger says. "It was just too sudden. You can't think nothing but from the cold. And they told us it would be fixed, and it wasn't."

A Laclede spokesperson says most homes in the neighborhood have gas restored. She tells us they went door to door in the neighborhood to tell everyone there would be a delay, and to offer hotels to the families.

According to that spokesperson, standard operating procedure in extreme weather conditions like this is to make other arrangements with families that have financial issues, including a foreman going with them to a hotel and putting it on a credit card.

Anyone with questions about their service can call 314-621-6960.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment