FLORISSANT, MO. - A day to celebrate with family and friends turned tragic.
Lyndsey Whiteaker describes the chilling phone call, after her 2-and-a-half-year-old nephew Dean Glass drowned in a swimming pool Tuesday morning.
"I just held my phone down at the side of my body and just stood there and was just trying to process what I was supposed to do next, " she said.
The incident happened in the 2000 block of Aristocrat. Emergency crews responded to the scene early Fourth of July morning, but could not save Dean.
Whittaker said the family is still in disbelief.
“I'm just now able to talk about it,” she said. “My sister still she is not handling it [well]. She can't speak to anybody about any of it because she just needs to figure out to accept it first.”
Whiteaker said the toddler was left unattended, and he fell in the pool and couldn't swim. Whiteaker believes the incident could have been prevented.
"There was no lock on the doors, there was no gate on the pool so if you do have a pool make sure the kids just can't jump in."
Now, Whiteaker has a message for all families to prevent something like this from happening to them.
“Never leave your kids unattended with a pool,”
Dean Glass’s funeral service will be held on Tuesday. The family has set up a GoFundMe account to help with funeral expenses. You can find the link here.
© 2017 KSDK-TV