Fire forces Fenton family from home

A Fenton family of three is temporarily without a place to live, after their mobile home went up in flames.

FENTON, MO. - A Fenton family of three was temporarily without a place to live after their mobile home went up in flames early Wednesday.

"Shock," said homeowner Sara Benson. "I can't really describe it other than that"

A speechless Benson looked on at what remained of her mobile home Wednesday. She's lived in in the home with her husband and teenaged son for 14 years,

"That's a lot to just see gone," Benson said.

Her family spent most of Wednesday afternoon removing damaged siding as neighbors stepped in to help.

Benson's family boat and the front of this house were covered in flames

"Just lucky it didn't all go up together," she said.

Firefighters said the blaze started at around 12:30 a.m.

Benson and her husband were sleeping inside.

Her 16-year-old son Devin was awake in his room when he smelled smoke.

"I came to my living room and I see smoke all across the ceiling so I ran into my parents room and I woke my mom up and I tried getting her out as fast as I could and she called my dad and 911," he said.

Saline Valley Fire Fighters responded and put out the flames. It was Devin's quick thinking that Benson said saved her family and kept their home from being fully destroyed.

"I'm just glad I got my animals and my family's safe," he said. "And I'm glad I got my pictures out"

For now, the family is staying in a hotel until repairs can be made. In the meantime, Benson plans to move forward with a heart of gratitude

"Not really much you can do at this point," she said. "Try and take steps to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen but it can happen to anybody"

Saline Valley firefighters said the fire started from electrical issues in Benson's family boat. Benson said friends and neighbors have already donated spare wood to help with repairs


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment