New cell phone video shows officer shoot KC firefighter

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Newly-released video shows the moments before an off-duty Kansas City police officer shot and killed a firefighter.

The officer has been cleared of charges. Now a witness who tried saving Anthony Bruno's life is speaking out about what she saw.

Ashley Janzen and a friend were headed home from a downtown bar December 1, 2013 when they saw Bruno and Officer Don Hubbard struggling on the sidewalk.

Janzen says that's when her friend took out a cell phone and started recording. Watching the video, Janzen didn't know moments later many lives would change, and one would be lost.

It all started minutes earlier outside the downtown Marriott, where Bruno and his new bride got into an argument with a cab driver. Reports say Bruno got violent and ran when off-duty Kansas City Officer Don Hubbard, arrived.

"At the beginning of the situation, we were thinking, cop just calm down, this doesn't need to be getting out of hand," said Janzen.

The video shows Hubbard struggling to arrest Bruno. According to a newly released statement, Hubbard says at one point Bruno told him, "You shouldn't have hit me."

"The tables kind of turned when he started to fight back and you just can't do that," said Janzen.

Video shows as Bruno pins Hubbard to the concrete repeatedly hitting him.

"He continued to strike me and I started to lose consciousness and I believed the suspect was not going to stop hitting me until he killed me," Hubbard said.

Then, Hubbard shot Bruno twice.

"Heard the gunshots and nurse mode kicks in, and all you want to do is save somebody's life and you just go," said Janzen.

Janzen is a critical care nurse and started CPR

"I think he was trying to say something at the very beginning," she said.

She told police Bruno pleaded "Don't let me die."

"If he would have accepted being detained, none of this would have happened," said Janzen.

Bruno's widow, Stephanie, told police she and Bruno had been drinking at their wedding reception. But she believes her husband ran from Hubbard to "cool off" from the disagreement with the cabbie.

Earlier this month, a grand jury cleared Hubbard of charges in the case.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment