Quieter night but arrests continue in Ferguson

FERGUSON, Mo. - After a night of mostly peaceful protests in Ferguson, troublemakers escalated events before midnight, which led to more arrests.

As of 1 a.m., 47 people had been arrested, including one person from Austin, Texas who was arrested for the third time, according to Missouri Highway Patrol Captain Ron Johnson. Several of those arrested were for failure to disperse.

Johnson said "agitators" threw plastic and glass bottles, some filled with ice water, and urine at officers near the Public Storage on West Florissant, which is what triggered the response from police.

Johnson pointed out that no Molotov Cocktails were thrown, and no police used smoke bombs or tear gas throughout the night. A limited amount of pepper spray was used.

Police also arrested people tied to making threats toward police at command post earlier Tuesday evening. Occupants of a car made the threats, and police later identified the car and arrested them and seized two handguns.

Breakdown of arrests:

Click here if on mobile.

A separate incident triggered the seizure of another handgun.

Tuesday night was the 10th night of protests after the death of Mike Brown on August 9. Ferguson Police officer Darren Wilson fatally shot Brown.

Despite the continued turmoil throughout Ferguson, Johnson said he could see a shift in dynamic throughout the night. He credited the elders, community activists and clergy for stepping up, coming out and walking and talking with protesters.

"I believe there is a turning point made," he said.

Johnson said that daily he and officers are reassessing the situation and plan to make each night better and safer, which he's noticed in a number of small steps.

The previous night, more than 75 people, including several from out of town, were arrested for failure to disperse among other charges.

Bailey McGowan contributed to this report.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment