STL police head to new downtown headquarters

(KSDK) - The people who have called police headquarters at Clark and Tucker home took one last family picture before heading to their new home at 1915 Olive St. Saturday. They marched through downtown to the new headquarters.

Lt. Col. Alfred Adkins has a special family connection to the old building.

"My father was the first one in the family on. He joined in 1958 and retired in 1992," Adkins said. "He retired as a Lieutenant Colonel. I also had a cousin who retired as a homicide detective after 20 years. And I'm the last one here."

But now he looks forward to showing off the new digs.

After a brief ceremony and the cutting of the crime tape ribbon, the building was open to the public for a little while. The new holding cells near the homicide division were a popular destination on the self-guided tour.

Thomas Bosch, whose father worked for the department in the 40s, said he's pleased.

"From my understanding, the departments are broken up over in the old building, and this will allow the different departments within the police department to be together, and they'll be able to communicate," Bosch said.

Chief Sam Dotson said there are upgrades that will help make work easier, and that will help fight and solve crime, which is down overall with the exception of murders.

"...New labs for our latent fingerprint technicians, so when we take a fingerprint from a crime scene, they have better work space, more ability to solve those crimes. So we're hoping it creates more efficient work flow," Dotson said.

"We're still located in the downtown area, which is fantastic," Lt. Col. Adkins said. "There are going to be technological advances with the real-time crime center that are going to push us forward in the direction we need to move in."

This was a $13 million project. More than half came from a bond issue and $3 million came from the Police Foundation. The rest came from money seized in criminal investigations.

Employees will start moving in this week. We're told it'll take about three weeks to get everyone in.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment