Five on Your Side is helping you save money on your utility bill this winter.
On Friday, a home energy expert joined the Today in St. Louis crew to talk tips to keep the heat in your home and the cold air out.
Laclede Gas also has some tips that can prevent heat from escaping:
- Seal off unused rooms by closing the registers and keeping the doors shut tightly.
- Keep furniture away from heating registers.
- Make sure a clean furnace filter is installed.
- Wash only full loads in the dishwasher and washing machine.
- Clean out the dryer lint trap before each load.
If DIY projects are not helping keep the cold air out, maybe it's time for a home energy audit. An energy auditor will use a blower to simulate wind and use an infrared camera to see where the house is losing heat.
Tim Renz, with SmartHouse Heating and Cooling, says a home energy audit generally costs between $200 to $400, depending on the size of the home.