Syria's military declared an end Monday to a week-old cease-fire brokered by Russia and the United States following violations on all sides, including a U.S.-led coalition airstrike that mistakenly killed dozens of Syrian soldiers.
Syria’s military blamed rebel groups for undermining the cease-fire aimed at bringing an end to the country's bloody five-year civil war.
However, Russia and the U.S. had said that if it lasted for the duration they would begin cooperating on military operations against the Islamic State and the Jabhat Fatah al-Sham (previously known as al-Nusra Front) in Syria.
But extending the formal halt to fighting and Russia-U.S. cooperation now looked in doubt with attacks on rebel-held neighborhoods over the weekend, aid convoys failing to reach besieged areas in Aleppo and the unintentional airstrikes against Syrian government troops that killed at least 62 and wounded 100 more.
The Pentagon expressed regret for the airstrikes. Australian, British and Danish warplanes were also involved in the attack.
Lt. Gen. Sergei Rudskoi of the Russian military blamed Washington for sabotaging the deal, although he stopped short of saying the cease-fire and partnership was being abandoned. Rudskoi said repeated violations by opposition forces meant it was "meaningless for Syrian government forces to unilaterally observe the cease-fire."
Moscow supports Syrian President Bashar Assad. Washington has not yet commented on whether the shaky truce has ended.