Denver (KMGH/CNN) - Ambulance after ambulance lined up outside a rescue mission in Denver where at least 50 people may have gotten food poisoning.
The Denver Rescue Mission served dinner Sunday night at 5 p.m. and about an hour later, people started getting sick.
There was concern that not all of those sickened would get help, because many of those who eat at the mission are homeless and head back to the streets after meals.
"You know, we're very concerned. It certainly is a case-by-case approach with the patients, depending on their particular health, but it could really have dire consequences for patients who aren't very healthy and who can be succumbed very quickly by something like this," said Lt. Phil Champagne with the Denver Fire Department.
On the menu Sunday night was a turkey dinner.
Fire officials assume the food was donated in good faith.
They say the mission's kitchen staff inspects food and checks the temperature before serving it to anyone.