LEBANON, Maine (AP/KSDK) - A St. Charles County husband and wife were hospitalized with burns when a propane tank explosion that could be felt up to 10 miles away burned their camper at a southern Maine campground.
Lebanon Rescue Assistant Chief Jason Cole said crews were called to the Salmon Falls River Camping Resort in Lebanon shortly after 7:30 a.m. Saturday.
Julie Giarla was flown to Maine Medical Center in Portland with serious burns. Her husband, Richard Giarla, was taken to Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester, N.H.
Cole said a second propane tank exploded while crews were there, and that a second camper was also destroyed.
Cole said the couple arrived at the campground Friday.
The state fire marshal's office is investigating.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)