By Kim Lucey
New Britain, CT (WFSB/CNN) - The first day of summer brought on the heat Wednesday.
And it was too much for some people at a high school graduation in Connecticut.
"It's too hot, so I just heard her name called. Now, I'm leaving, because it's too hot," said Ruby Green.
Thousands packed into Veterans Stadium behind New Britain High School for a celebration, watching their loved ones walk the stage and grab a diploma.
But for many, that celebration was marred by the heat.
People both young and old retreated to the shade under the bleachers, or left the stadium all together to cool off.
"It's going good, but it's very hot out there. People are passing out," said Diane Seymour.
Ambulances lined up outside the stadium, taking 15 patients to the hospital for heat-related problems.
Another 15 were treated on the scene.
Paramedics say the most common complaints were dehydration and fainting episodes.
Firefighters brought in ice and water, but even that wasn't enough in the heat.
Of course, one of the most important things we tell you to do on a day like today is to hydrate. But it's even hard for water to stay cool.
When water and ice weren't enough, firefighters turned to their hoses, make a makeshift shower to cool everyone off.
The National Weather Service issued a heat advisory Wednesday for the Hartford area, including New Britain and southwest Connecticut.
Temperatures in the 90s and high humidity boosted heat index values above 100 degrees.