Tiger Woods withdrawing from Safeway Open

Tiger Woods will not play in the Safeway Open this week or the Turkish Open next month, postponing his highly anticipated return to competitive golf.

"After a lot of soul searching and honest reflection, I know that I am not yet ready to play on the PGA Tour or compete in Turkey," Woods posted on tigerwoods.com Monday afternoon. "My health is good, and I feel strong, but my game is vulnerable and not where it needs to be.

Woods, a 14-time major champ, hasn’t played in a PGA Tour event since the Wyndham Championship in August 2015. He has missed considerable playing in recent years dealing with injuries to his back, left knee, elbow, neck and wrist.

He committed to play in the Safeway Open last Friday and was scheduled to pair with NBA superstar Stephen Curry during Wednesday's Pro-Am.

Wood was also scheduled to play in Turkish Open from Nov. 3-6. He said Monday he still plans to play in the Hero World Challenge from Dec. 1-4.

"When I announced last week I was going to Safeway, I had every intention of playing, or I wouldn't have committed," he said. "I spent a week with the U.S. Ryder Cup team, an honor and experience that inspired me even more to play. I practiced the last several days in California, but after a lot of hours, I knew I wasn't ready to compete against the best golfers in the world. I will continue to work hard, and plan to play at my foundation's event, the Hero World Challenge.

"I would like to apologize and send my regrets to Safeway, the Turkish Airlines Open, the fans in California and Turkey and those that had hoped to watch me compete on TV. This isn't what I wanted to happen, but I will continue to strive to be able to play tournament golf. I'm close, and I won't stop until I get there."

RelatedThis might be the end for Tiger Woods



To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment