Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - Tiger Woods announced on his website on Monday that he will no longer be working with Sean Foley.
"I'd like to thank Sean for his help as my coach and for his friendship," Woods said. "Sean is one of the outstanding coaches in golf today, and I know he will continue to be successful with the players working with him. With my next tournament not until my World Challenge event at Isleworth in Orlando, this is the right time to end our professional relationship."
Woods and Foley have worked together since August 2010.
"My time spent with Tiger is one of the highlights of my career so far, and I am appreciative of the many experiences we shared together," Foley said. "It was a lifelong ambition of mine to teach the best player of all time in our sport. I am both grateful for the things we had the opportunity to learn from one another, as well as the enduring friendship we have built. I have nothing but respect and admiration for him."
Woods went on to say that he doesn't have a coach and there is no timetable for hiring a new one. Woods is out of action right now as he is resting his back after a bout of back spasms, which followed surgery on his back earlier in the year.
The 14-time major champion has had three swing coaches as a professional. Woods began his career working with Butch Harmon before moving to Hank Haney. Woods was with Harmon from his amateur days until 2004 and with Haney from 2003-10.
Woods won eight of his major championships while working with Harmon and six with Haney as his swing coach.
After the 2009 scandal that led to Woods' divorce, he began working with Foley the following year. He went winless for over two full seasons from 2010 into early 2012. He finally got back into the winner's circle at the 2012 Arnold Palmer Invitational.
Since working with Foley, Woods has posted just five top-10 finishes in majors and has missed four majors due to injury. Woods missed the cut in two majors while with both Haney and Foley.
Woods has won seven more times since the 2012 Arnold Palmer Invitational, but all of those wins were in 2012 and 2013. As he battled a bad back earlier this year, Woods has struggled in competition.
The 38-year-old missed two cuts and withdrew from two other events. After he shared 25th place at the WGC-Cadillac Championship for his best finish of the year, Woods announced he would be undergoing back surgery and he was off the tour until July.
Since returning, Woods has played all four rounds in just one of his four events. He tied for 69th at the Open Championship. In 11 rounds since he returned from surgery, Woods has broken par just twice.