ST. LOUIS - Sometimes it's hard to make sure meals are balanced, so here are some easy ways to boost fiber in your diet:
1. Snack on whole-grain crackers, fruit, or vegetables or popcorn.
2. Choose whole-grain breads and cereals, whole-wheat pasta, and other whole grains, such as quinoa (gluten-free alternative), millet, barley, cracked wheat, and wild rice.
3. Look for breads with more than 3 grams fiber per slice; go for cereals with five or more grams of dietary fiber per serving.
4. Start a meal with bean-based soups, such as lentil or black bean. Add canned, rinsed chickpeas to salads, soups, egg, and pasta dishes.
5. Include fruits, vegetables, and whole grains at every meal.
6. If you are gluten intolerant, add fiber to your diet by eating more fruits and vegetables.
Daily recommended vitamin C amounts:
• Men, 19 and older: 90 milligrams
• Women, 19 and older: 75 milligrams
Include some of these vitamin C-rich foods in your diet daily:
• Raw sweet red pepper, 1/2 cup: 142 milligrams
• Medium kiwi: 70 milligrams
• Orange juice, 6 ounces: 61-93 milligrams
• Strawberries, 1/2 cup raw: 49 milligrams
• Cantaloupe, 1/4 medium: 47 milligrams
• Broccoli, cooked, 1/2 cup: 51 milligrams
Recipes from Show:
Hawaiian Bagel Thins® Bagel
• 1 Thomas'®100% Whole Wheat Bagel Thins® bagel
• 1/2 c. low-fat plain cottage cheese
• 2 pineapple rings (fresh or canned in own juice)
• 1 tsp. olive oil
• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Place pineapple rings (drained from liquid) on baking tray lined with aluminum foil. Brush top of pineapple rings with olive oil; broil for approximately 7 minutes. Then turn over, and brush other side with olive oil. Broil until pineapple starts to brown, approximately another 5 minutes. Remove from broiler and sprinkle with cinnamon. Separate and toast Bagel Thins® bagel. Top each half with 1/4 cup cottage cheese and 1 broiled pineapple ring. Serve open-faced.
Dietary Fiber – 6g
The Classic Egg with Canadian Bacon Bagel Thins® Bagel
• 1 Thomas'® 100% Whole Wheat Bagel Thins® Bagel
• 1 large egg
• 1 slice Canadian bacon
1 slice reduced fat American cheese