The academy cut a segment that was to star the leukemia survivor and Andrew Garfield.

3 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

His tux was in hand, he'd rehearsed and 5-year-old Miles Scott, aka Batkid, was "all ready" for his Hollywood debut, according to his mom.

But then, bam! Sunday morning the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences pulled the plug on an Oscars superheroes segment that was to star Miles and fellow crime fighter Spider-Man, aka Andrew Garfield.

RELATED: San Francisco spent $105K on Batkid's big day

RELATED: Batkid saves the day in San Francisco

RELATED: Philanthropists pay bills for SF 'Batkid' fantasy

Miles, a leukemia survivor, became a mighty sensation last year when he donned Batman's black-muscled armor and "saved" San Franciso as part of a Make-A-Wish Foundation dream fulfillment. One might wager that he would have saved the snooze of a broadcast that arguably was this year's Oscars.

Now, the academy has issued a statement as to why Miles' second dream was dashed and what his consolation prize was:

"Due to the nature of a live show, hard decisions sometimes must be made which require the Academy to cut segments due to the logistics of production. Andrew Garfield understood that his segment had to be omitted, and he drove to Disneyland on Monday to spend time with 5-year-old Miles Scott and his family."

Yesterday, Miles' mom, Natalie Scott, expressed "disappointment" with the cancellation. "We had gone all the way down there (from far Northern California), and he went through the rehearsal and he had a fancy tux and was all ready for it," she told the International Business Times.

As of Wednesday night, the family hadn't heard from the academy. "I know that's how TV goes and how Hollywood is. We're just not used to that; we're from a really small town."

As for her son, "We told him that it didn't work out, but we ended up having fun anyway."

3 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.ksdk.com/1ceeohq