(NEWSER) – A bucket list with a twist and a military vet's reunion with a buddy make the list:
• Woman Vows to live out heart donor's bucket list: Kristina Chesterman, 21, was studying to be a nurse when she was killed by a suspected drunk driver last year—but she managed to save lives anyway as a registered organ donor. Now the woman who received her heart wants to do something in return. Susan Vieira, 64, has vowed to check off everything on Chesterman's bucket list—written down on a piece of paper her mom only recently found.
• Army vet reunited with his military dog: It took a few years to cut through the military red tape, but an Army vet back in the U.S. has been reunited with the bomb-sniffing dog he deployed with in Afghanistan. The Army finally relented and allowed black lab Ellen to return to her former handler, who is suffering from PTSD.
• Missing cat back home after 7 years: The cat came back—after seven years. The unexpected reunion took place in Iceland, when Birkir Fjalar Vioarsson got a call from a shelter informing him that his cat Orvar had shown up. Orvar bolted in 2007, apparently displeased about the family's addition of a puppy, but all seems forgiven now.
• Boy, 9, saves dad after remote snowmobile crash: A fourth-grader is being hailed as a hero for keeping his cool and saving his dad's life after a snowmobile accident. Bode Beirdneau, 9, and his father were snowmobiling in South Lake Tahoe when his dad lost control of his machine and ended up pinned beneath it with a broken leg. Bode couldn't dig him out and had no choice but to hop back on his snowmobile in the remote locale and try to find help. He not only did so, he managed to lead rescuers back to his father without a GPS.
• Anne Frank tree being planted on Capitol lawn: A sapling grown from the chestnut tree that gave Anne Frank solace while hiding from the Nazis will be planted on the lawn of the U.S. Capitol later this month. Frank could see the tree from a window and wrote about it in her diary.
Click for more uplifting news stories.