JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - Missouri health officials report the death of an 84-year-old who contracted listeriosis from contaminated cantaloupe traced to a Colorado farm.
The state Department of Health and Senior Services said Thursday the death was confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It's the sixth confirmed case of listeriosis in Missouri.
The 84-year-old is identified only as a person from southwestern Missouri. The state agency says local medical officials determined the person died from sepsis and that listeriosis was a contributing factor.
A 94-year-old southwest Missouri resident with listeriosis died last month. But local medical officials determined that infection from listeria bacteria was not the immediate cause.
Most healthy adults can consume listeria with no ill effects. Symptoms of listeriosis include fever, muscle aches and gastrointestinal problems.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)