WPMI - Clean-up crews were called to Gulf Shores, Alabama Wednesday after small tar balls began washing up on the beach.

"Somebody needs to clean it up. They can't get it all, but unfortunately the spill happened. We hope it does not happen again. We need to try and clean up the mess we made," said tourist Don Houghton.

Visitors say they expected to see the clean-up crews on the beach and so did city officials.

It's part of the agreement with BP.

"We do have ADEM on our side they are on BP. BP is back on the beach cleaning up the beaches. We want to make sure anytime material comes ashore we will clean it up," said Grant Brown with the City of Gulf Shoes.

"We just have to accept the spill and move on. I'm surprised they are still spending money to clean it up, but if anything, it gives these people jobs," said tourist Brewster Harrington.

"We do know there still are tar mats offshore. The attempts to try and remove them in the surf zones has been difficult. Technology is not allowing BP to remove that material," said Brown.

Hurricane Isaac pounded the coast for more than three days.

As a result there have been several mysteries wash up on shore.

Everything from human bones to the uncovering of an old lumber schooner near Fort Morgan.

"Normally she's buried on the beach, but when we have a big storm like Isaac or Ivan or even Hurricane Ike in 2008, the surge will uncover her and so generally she's buried," said David Anderson with Fathom Exploration.

The same erosion is a problem for city officials in both Orange Beach and Gulf Shores.

"We estimate around 400,000 cubic yards of sand has been lost. In the grand scheme of things, that's fairly a significant number, but it's not a detrimental number by any means," said Brown.

Also uncovered after Isaac, a human bone found on Labor Day just west of the Gulf State Pier.

It's believed to be a human left leg bone. Police will send it off for DNA testing.

"We've gotten calls from family members who have had loved ones drown over the last couple of years. We actually had a case dating back to 1991 that's been questioned, but it's just a matter of we really need that DNA profile," said Sgt. Jason Woodruff with Gulf Shores Police.

Read or Share this story: