BOSTON (AP) - A lawyer for former Boston mobster James "Whitey" Bulger says his defense team will do everything in its power to be ready for his new murder trial date.
Defense attorney J.W. Carney Jr. has repeatedly sought to delay Bulger's trial. He says the defense needs time to review thousands of documents. He had asked for an eight-month delay.
A judge on Friday rejected that but put the trial off from March until June.
Bulger is known as the former leader of the Winter Hill Gang and is charged with participating in 19 murders. He fled Boston in 1994 and remained a fugitive on the FBI's Most Wanted list until last year, when he was captured in Santa Monica, Calif.
The 83-year-old Bulger has pleaded not guilty. He says was given immunity by a federal prosecutor for being an FBI informant.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)