SHARECOMMENTMORE

Caseyville, IL (KSDK) - An infant is hospitalized in St. Louis after being severely burned while sleeping in a bed inside a trailer home that caught fire near the community of Caseyville in St. Clair County Illinois.

Fire investigators say there's evidence the fire was ignited after an adult woman inside the trailer who was on oxygen, lit a cigarette, sparking the blaze.

Authorities say the woman involved is the grandmother of the baby girl who was taken to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital for treatment of burns.

Preliminary findings show the grandmother removed her oxygen to light a cigarette, which caused a flash fire, burning the baby on her arms, chest, and hand. The grandmother grabbed the child and ran outside the burning home for help.

The fire was at the trailerin the 100 block of Southern Drive off Illinois Route 159 and was first reported around 12:15 a.m. Friday.

The infant is in critical but stable condition, with burns over 10 to 12 percent of her body.



The mother of the child released a brief statement about the incident saying, "My mom is absolutely devastated over what happened. Immediately after she realized what happened, she ran to a neighbor's house for help. Our family would appreciate prayers at this time."


SHARECOMMENTMORE